Handy Storage Tips Brought to You by SNT Mini-Storage in Terrace, B.C.
Do-it-yourself storage can seem like a big task for some people, but with a little bit of planning and research, you can learn how to properly store your belongings like a pro. Here are some helpful suggestions to ensure your valuables and keepsakes are stored safely:
- Plan your storage space. Place items that you need to access often/ essential items in the front. Allow room for aisles/walkways.
- Fill each box with your heaviest items on the bottom and lighter items on top.
- Use uniformly sized boxes for easy stacking.
- Use pallets to keep items off the floor.
- Label your boxes on all four sides for future reference.
- Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home.
- Use free-standing shelving to organize the boxes.
- Pack heavy boxes on the bottom and light boxes on the top.
- If possible, store sofas, pictures and mirrors on their ends.
- Protect your items with covers, old sheeting, etc.
- Wrap breakables in bubble wrap or packing paper.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for knickknacks, china, silver ware and other small items.
- Disassemble items that can easily be taken apart. Put all the nuts/bolts into a zip-lock bag and attach it to the item.
- Clean appliances to prevent mildew.
- Ask your insurance company about insurance for your belongings
Now that you've learned how to store your items properly, it's also important to know what you shouldn't do:
- Do not store food items. This includes spices, rice and cereal.
- Do not store hazardous or combustible items, such as gasoline, solvents, paint, etc. Be sure to drain out all remaining gasoline from lawnmowers, power tools, snowmobiles and other equipment.
- Do not store heavy items on the seats of couches or chairs as you may collapse the springs.
Remember, all of our units are 10 feet high, so the more you stack, the more you store!